Università di Sassari, Facoltà di Medicina Veterinaria
Recognition status :
EAEVE European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education
RCVS Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Sassari, unique in Sardinia, was founded in 1928. Since the first half of the nineteenth century, has allowed the training of veterinarians who have worked and are currently operating in the territory of Sardinia. The importance of its presence in Sardinia is linked to its livestock, which has more than 3 million sheep, 300,000 pigs, 400,000 goats, 200,000 cattle and a herd of horses. The first course of study in Veterinary activities began in 1927 in Sassari, on-site activities of the Royal National Institute of Veterinary Medicine. In 1928 was established the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, located in Sassari Via Duca degli Abruzzi. The first undergraduate degrees were awarded in 1932. On the commitment of the Province and the Municipality, the Faculty could then rely on cutting-edge buildings, located at the local Public Abattoir. Since 1972, due to the increased need for education and science, began the construction of the headquarters, located in the region of Montserrat, which was completed in 1982 with the production of the latest modules and Library, Central. Today the Faculty is located in a large garden surrounded by olive groves, with extensive areas for teaching and research facilities and for parking spaces. Overall the place is divided into 5 modules interconnected, for a total of approximately 9,500 square meters of surface. Spaces are located behind the Faculty animal rooms for experimental animals, shelter for animals used for teaching (in complresso 960 sqm. Between indoor and outdoor areas) and pastures for parcels over five acres. The University, with support from the Ministry of University and Scientific Research, has already allocated funds for the construction of the Hospital Vet: realization deemed essential by the European Community, to ensure that students improve their preparation for medical training. The structure will be built near the present site, and will constitute a landmark in the field of protection and animal welfare. The Faculty has extensive local and modern services to support teaching and research. The scientific activity is carried out in two departments that operate their facilities. Among the main educational infrastructure, will put the central library, 13 classrooms for lectures provided the most advanced media support, 8 science laboratories / specialized computer labs 2 and 1 study room.