University of Ljubljana
Recognition status :
EAEVE European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education
RCVS Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Degree: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Diploma, s katero se podeljuje strokovni naslov �??doktor veterinarske medicine/doktorica veterinarske medicine�?? Recognition status: EAEVE,RCVS Website: www.vf.uni-lj.si Modern veterinary medicine has started to develop through the establishment of the first schools in the 18 century as a measure of government to education personnel to combat catastrophic epizootic diseases. These were then almost unlimited spread across Europe and the world, and due to massive livestock deaths threaten livestock fund and state economy. Some infectious diseases also threaten human health. The first two schools were set up in France, in Lyon in 1762 and in 1765 in Alfort. Third veterinary school, which has affected the development of the veterinary profession in our country was founded 1765 in Vienna. At this institution, the coming civil and military veterinary officer, acting on the territory of present-day Slovenia, until the collapse of Austria-Hungary monarchy at the end of the First World War. In 1795 the Department of Veterinary Mediko-surgical center lyceum was established in Ljubljana in 1850 and the school was launched in Ljubljana on Poljane. Immediately after World War I, Slovenes studying veterinary medicine in Lvovu at veterinary colleges in Brno, or Veterinary Faculty in Zagreb, which was established in 1919. At this institution has educated the majority of Slovenian veterinary surgeons to start operating predecessor Veterinary Faculty in Ljubljana. In 1926 it was established in Ljubljana, the National Institute bacteriological, after World War II and in 1946 the Scientific Veterinary Institute of Slovenia. Both are important precursor to today's Veterinary Faculty. This was established by Government Decree 12th July 1953, as the Veterinary Department, Faculty of Agronomy, Forestry and Veterinary. During the school year 1956/57, the first 35 students enrolled, among which are the best graduated in 1961. In 1979, joined the Scientific Veterinary Institute of Slovenia to the veterinary department. The law establishing the Veterinary Faculty is possible that with effect from 1 January 1990, the Veterinary Faculty became an independent member of the University of Ljubljana. In 1998, the Expert Commission of the European union for veterinary education institutions (European Association of establishments for Veterinary Education, EAEVE) the Veterinary Faculty undertook a review of curriculum. The Commission has confirmed that a course of study and conditions comply with the standards EAEVE and thus comparable to the faculty of the European Union programs. This is our faculty gain equal footing with other veterinary faculties of Europe, which we also facilitate the recognition of diplomas and the opportunity to work abroad. In 2001, the VFL, that the Veterinary Institute of Slovenia joining the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ljubljana, which should establish an internal organizational unit - the National Veterinary Institute. This form of organization contributes significantly to increased quality of teaching, as well as the rational and efficient connecting the most demanding business small stroke in a small country, what we recognize as renowned veterinary experts around the world. In 51 years of operation of the faculty of veterinary medicine studies enrolled 3376 students. Until the beginning of the academic year 2007/2008 there have been 1619 graduates. At the postgraduate level is a task master and specialization 382, and 123 Ph.D. graduate students. Read more ...