WVD 2015 Celebrations by TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO VETERINARY ASSOCIATION
The San Antonio Green Market was the venue selected to promote World Veterinary Day.
The market owners promote a holistic view of health and welcome pets on a leash to the venue. A 20 foot by 20 foot tent was strategically mounted near to the wellness booth. The TTVA collaborated with several stake holders an had talks with members of the public who were invited to come visit the tent.
Several posters were on display on vector borne diseases and one health
The stake holders were:
1. The Animal Welfare Network (AWN)
2. The Trinidad and Tobago Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
3. The University of the West Indies School of Veterinary Medicine
4. Best Pets Animal Behaviour – Ms Kristel Marie Ramnath
5. Command Performance Dog Food
6. The Ministry of Health – Veterinary Public Health
7. The Ministry of Food Production- Animal Health Division
8. Royal Identification Systems and The Trinidad and Tobago Kennel Club
Pamphlets were distributed on Leptospirosis, Dengue, Chikungunia, Rabies, Role of the Veterinarian in Food Safety and Welfare .
Children were given the opportunity to interact with puppies, hamsters and rabbits.
Free medical check ups were given to all pets who visited.
Talks on animal behavior, fish diseases and general health care were given.
Advice on microchipping and the importance of pet identification was given. Advice of contraling pest including ticks and fleas was presented. Specimen of parasites of humans and animals were on display.
All activities were loaded onto the facebook pages of the TTVA, Green Market , AWN, The UWI School of Veterinary Medicine and TTSPCA.